Maine Coons are famous for their gentle giant status. They also take time to fully mature, so chances are that the crate you buy for your Maine Coon kitten won’t last into its adulthood.
- 11 Best Pet Carriers for Maine Coons
- 1. PetSeek Extra Large Cat Carrier
- 2. Pet Life Folding Cat Carrier
- 3. Sturdibag Cat Carrier
- 4. Petego Pet Tube
- 5. Petmate Two-Door Kennel
- 6. JESPET Soft Crate
- 7. AmazonBasics Hard-Shell Cat Crate
- 8. Petmate Sky Cat Kennel
- 9. PetLuv Happy Cat Carrier
- 10. PetAmi Backpack
- 11. Pet Rover 3-In-1 Stroller
11 Best Pet Carriers for Maine Coons
When investigating the best pet carriers for Maine Coons, there are several factors you must consider.
Crucially, you need an extra large cat carrier so your Maine Coon can stand up and turn around comfortably while in the crate. You also need a sturdy crate to support the weight of an adult Maine Coon.
Here are the best pet carriers for Maine Coons.
- EXTRA LARGE COMFORTABLE PET CARRIERS- Perfect for Medium to Large Cats or up to Mediumdog . Measures approximately 24x16.5x16 inches. Hold pets up to 55 pounds.Fit dog soft-sided carriers
The PetSeek Extra Large cat carrier is large enough to comfortably accommodate a Maine Coon. It’s a soft-shell crate but sturdy enough to support your cat’s weight when you need to transport it to the vet or cattery.
It’s also collapsable, so it doesn't take up significant storage space between uses. The top and front-loading options make it easy to transition your cat into the carrier.
- Shoulder strap
- The cat can turn around comfortably
- Top/side loading options
- Anxious cats may eventually claw through the mesh
- Pet Life Vista-View Soft Folding Pet Crate is surrounded by sided mesh with both a Mesh Zippered Rooftop and Entrance along the Front for easy placement of Dogs, Cats or Small Animals
The Pet Life Folding crate is ideal for Maine Coons. It’s an extra-large cat carrier long enough to comfortably house your feline giant.
It includes a leash fixture that helps tether and calms an anxious cat and sturdy mesh windows. It requires some assembly but easily collapses between uses, so you don’t need to worry about it taking up floor space.
- Leash tether for anxious cats
- Big enough for Maine Coons
- Requires assembly
- No top-loading entrance
- Durable 600 denier polyester offers featherlite construction.
Sturdibag is another extra-large cat carrier ideal for Maine Coons. It comes in various styles and has a strong shoulder strap to help you maneuver the crate.
The crate doesn’t collapse but 'softens' for easier storage, even as it retains its shape.
- Sturdy crate
- Airline compliant
- Leash/harness tether on inside
- Dense mesh limits the cat’s view
- Not collapsible
One of the reasons the Petego Pet Tube is one of the best carriers for Maine Coons is its size. The tube’s length is adjustable, making it large enough for your Maine Coon. In multi-cat households, you can also contract it to accommodate smaller cats.
Despite its size, the carrier collapses for convenient storage. It’s made of heavy-duty material.
- Adjustable length
- Sturdy material and shoulder strap
- Carrier weighs eight pounds without the cat
- Not crash-proof
- MULTIPLE DOORS OFFER EASY ACCESS: Easy load options make it easy and less stressful for travel or house-training. Suitable for small dogs, cats, or small animals up to 15 lbs. Multiple ventilation holes on each side allows air to circulate and gives 360 view while traveling to the vet, park or groomer.
Petmate makes hard-shell carriers that offer extra protection when traveling with your Maine Coon.
The crate has two entrances and comes in a variety of colors. There’s no inner lining, but it can be softened with a towel or a favorite blanket. However, although big enough for your Maine Coon it doesn’t collapse unless you disassemble it.
- Extra protection from hard-shell exterior
- Variety of colors/styles
- Top and front loading entrances
- Not collapsable
- Requires assembly
- Jespet Soft Dog Crate Dimensions: Folding soft-sided 30”L*21”W*23”H dog crate for large dogs up to 50 lbs. Our dog crate is 2" wider and 3" higher than most other brand 30" soft crates. Portable and lightweight soft dog crate make it easier for outdoor travel. All dimensions are measured manually, please allow deviation of 1 inch.
JESPET’s soft crate for extra large cats is another crate that comes in several styles and accommodates a Maine Coon.
It has a fleece inner lining and is made of heavy-duty material. There’s only one front entrance and a reliable shoulder strap to transport the cat and carrier.
- Several styles to choose from
- No top-entry option
- Hard sided pet carrier with 2 doors for front and top entry; suitable for cat or medium size dog weighing 12 - 20 pounds
AmazonBasics hard-shell carrier is an affordable pet carrier that’s big enough for your Maine Coon.
There are several models, including one with an additional vent for cats that need more ventilation or like to watch the world go by.
It requires assembly, but customers find construction and deconstruction easy. Like other hard-shell carriers, it can’t collapse, but the added protection and sturdiness of the carrier compensate for that.
- Fits a Maine Coon up to 20lbs
- Several styles available
- Requires assembly
- Doesn’t collapse
- Meets Airline Standards: This travel dog crate conforms to IATA requirements for live animal transport, including door, side and back ventilation requirements. Meets most airline cargo specifications for safe travel; always check with airlines in advance
Petmate’s Sky cat kennel is another Petmate carrier suitable for Maine Coons. It’s made of sturdy material and features a cat-proof door.
It’s also airline-approved and comes with clip-on travel dishes and ID stickers for your pet.
- Cat-proof door latches easily
- Airline approved
- Vents on all sides
- Awkward to carry
- Door can jam
- Go-anywhere kitty carrier makes transporting your pal easy with roomy design and built-in premium features
PetLuv’s Happy Cat carrier is another of the best pet carriers for Maine Coons. It has a soft-shell exterior reinforced by metal poles.
It collapses for convenient storage and features multiple entrances to quickly and efficiently bundle your Maine Coon into the crate.
When empty, it weighs approximately six pounds, making it noticeably lighter than other carriers discussed here.
- Top/front-loading entrances
- Sturdy material and shoulder strap
- Unsuitable for anxious cats
10. PetAmi Backpack
- EXPANDABLE PET BACKPACK CARRIER: This airline approved carrier backpack is perfect for small or medium sized dogs and large cats. Designed for the maximum convenience and comfort while hiking and traveling.
PetAmi’s expandable backpack offers a creative alternative way to transport your Maine Coon. It expands to comfortably hold a Maine Coon and features a comfortable, breathable material.
Additionally, it stores easily between uses. However, despite its durable material, some customers expressed concern that the backpack structure failed to provide adequate support for a fully-grown Maine Coon.
- May not support an adult Maine Coon properly
- Heavy to carry
Finally, the Pet Rover Stroller is the best pet carrier for Maine Coons with wheels.
The carrier uses a heavy-duty, breathable material and collapses for storage. There are various sizes and models to choose from.
However, it is the most expensive pet carrier on this list.
- Variety of styles
- Several ways to use it
- Stores easily
- Even collapsed, it takes up considerable storage space
Here are other questions people had about choosing a crate for their Maine Coon.
Because Maine Coon cats are significantly larger than other domestic cats, there are a few tricks to picking them up.
Use your dominant arm when stabilizing your cat’s upper body. Then place your free hand supportively on your Maine Coon’s near the hind foot. This gives their hindquarters support and prevents you from crushing their vital organs.
You can make a crate more appealing, but ultimately, the choice for a hard or soft crate is yours.
Hard carriers offer more stability and protection and suit cats prone to clawing or scratching during transit. Soft carriers are lighter and can be effective with more placid cats.
You can indeed walk a Maine Coon cat on a lead. It requires a sturdy harness since they are large cats, and you need to control them.
However, it’s different from walking a dog. Be prepared for your Maine Coon to try to lead you into hedges and up trees in search of prey.
Maine Coons are adventurous, energetic cats. With the right training, they can enjoy walking on a leash.
However, if you want to walk your Maine Coon on a leash, it helps to start young so they become familiar with the harness and leash as soon as possible.
Remember, when choosing the best pet carrier for a Maine Coon, you need something with ample space for your cat to stand up and turn around comfortably.
You also want a carrier made of sturdy material that doesn't take up all your closet space when you store it.
If it does all those things, it's an excellent fit for you and your Maine Coon. Now all you need to do is persuade the cat to use it.